Katie and I have been working on a secret project which has taken up much of my knitting time in the last few weeks. But I do have one FO and a few WIPS to update:
I wanted this to be newborn size. It is for my sister’s baby, who needs a gender neutral take-me-home outfit since the sex will be a surprise.
I used the CO amount from the Bulky version of the sweater, since the smallest size was 3 months. There’s no CYC standard sizing for newborn knits, so I basically took an inch or so off of the 3 month sizes.
I’m semi-happy with this. The stockinette stitch tends to roll, and so I added crochet trim all around (with an extra row on the bottom). But that didn’t entirely fix the rolling. Since this was a quick knit I might do another version in garter stitch to see if that helps. And I kind of want more stripes on the bottom and ends of the sleeves.
The yarn is Paton’s Country, which is okay to work with, but not great. It splits a bit. I used size 6s but I think next time I’ll go down to 5s for a tighter fabric.
This takes forever, but right now it is my only easy stockinette/no pattern needed project. So I’m gradually making progress.
I’m not smart enough to figure out the front panel pattern, so I need to have a copy of the pattern on hand while knitting this, which has stalled my progress. But I’ll keep slogging on this.
And I cast on for a Leaf T-Shirt last night using the brown alpaca I got for Christmas:
It took me a while to decide what to make with this. I have 800 yards and I think it is DK weight, so most sweaters were out of the question. I think this will be a cute layering piece for fall. If I have extra, I’ll make the sleeves longer. This is going to be a quick knit, I think. The only thing to worry about is the leaf lace pattern, which I don’t think I’ll be able to memorize (6 lines), but should be okay to bring with me for an on-the-go project.